At home I do make number of gravies to go with chapathis/ rotis/ bhakris. This creamy punjabi restaurant style Methi Matar Malai is one of them. Methi/ fenugreek leaves when paired with green peas in a creamy gravy makes a great combo. Watch Step by Step process of making Methi Matar Malai: I generally …
Serves – 10 servings
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 1 hr
- Pine Apple – 1 medium or 1/2 extra large pneapple cut into slices
- Unsalted butter – 1/4 cup
- Light brown Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Tutti Fruity – 1 Tbsp
Cake Mix :
- All Purpose Flour – 1 1/2 cups
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Eggs – 2 (sepearate yolks and whites)
- Unsalted Butter – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1 Cup
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1/2 cup
Prepare the pine apple by trimming the skin off and even the core. Slice into 1/4 inch thck pieces and again cut each piece into 3 pieces. Set this aside. Prepare the 9 inch cake pan by greasing with the spray or with butter.
Preheat your oven to 350 F. Start preparint the sugar syrup. Into a sauce pan add in butter and sugar mix them until both are mixed together really well and sugar is completely dissloved in the butter. Cook further for 3 mins on medium until you see bubbles in the corners. Turn off the heat por this syrup onto the greased pan.
Arrange the pineapple pieces such that they touch eachother atleast at one point. Set it aside.
Add flour, salt, baking powder into a mixing bowl and whisk really good until mixed together well. Seperate whites and yolks in seperate bowls and set them aside.
In another bowl cream the butter, sugar, vanilla until nice and smooth, then add in the flour mixture and milk alternately into the butter and sugar mixture in three additions ending with the flour. Mix well together until combined.
Whip up the egg whites, make sure that you are using a clean bowl and clean whisk attachment otherwise your whites doesn’t whip up at all. Whip up till stiff peaks are formed. Gently fold this egg whites with the flour, butter and sugar mixture until well combined.
Pour this into the cake tin spread evenly and bake it fr 45 to 55 mins or until toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
Hara Bhara Kebab! As the name says, they are filled with lot of green vegetables. I use Paneer and potatoes to give a smooth and creamy texture to the Kebab. They literally melt in mouth when you take a bite of these addictive Kebabs
Watch step by step process of making Hara Bhara Kebabs
- Spinach (wash) – 2 Cups tightly packed
- Fenugreek Leaves (washed) – 1/2 Cup tightly packed
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1/4 Cup
- Potatoes (boiled) – 2 no
- Lime Juice – 1 tsp or to taste
- Green peas (mashed) – 2 Tbsp
- Paneer (Crumbled) – 1/4 Cup tightly packed
- Chanadal(wash, pressure cooked till just tender) – 1/4 Cup to get 1/2 Cup of cooked dal
- Green Chillies – 6 or to taste
- Ginger – small piece
- Garlic – 1 fat clove
- Cilantro – 1/4 Cup
- Spring Onion greens – 2 Tbsp
- Capsicum (finely chopped) – 2 Tbsp
- Oil – as required for shallow frying or deep frying.
- Salt – 3/4 tsp or to taste
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Mint Leaves – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp or to taste
- Chaat Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Bread Crumbs – 3 Tbsp
- Cashew (halves) – 10 no
For blanching Spinach & Frnugreek Leaves:
- Bring 3 Cups of water to a boil.
- Add Spinach and let it sit in the boiling water till it picks up nice bright green color.
- Then remove it immediately from the water and put into ice cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Repeat the process with the fenugreek leaves.
- Once you have blanched the leafy vegetables, squeeze them hard to remove all the extra water.
- Keep them ready.
For Cooking the Dal:
- Into a pressure cooker add the washed Chana dal and 1 Cup of water.
- Pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Force release the pressure of the pressure cooker by running under the cold water.
- Be very careful while you do this.
- Once all the steam is out, drain the water from the dal and keep the dal ready.
- Dal should be tender but not mushy.
- Into a blender add green chillies, ginger and garlic,green peas and make a coarse paste.
- Heat a medium skillet with 2 tsp of oil.
- Add cumin powder, giner garlic green peas paste that we ground.
- Fry for a min.
- Add capsicum, spring onion greens, onion.
- Cook for 3 mins or till the onion becomes traslucent.
- Remove the mixture from heat and transfer into a bowl to cool off quickly.
- Meanwhile, into a food processor add blanched spinach, boiled potato, paneer, ccooked dal.
- Pulse it till you get a smooth paste.
- Add this to the cooked green masala paste.
- Add Bread Crumbs, chaat masala powder, sugar, garam masala powder, dry mint leaves, salt, lime juice, cilantro.
- Mix well until combined properly.
- You will get a sticky paste.
- Grease your hands lightly with oil and shape the mixture into 3 inch round patties.
- Stick a cashew at center of each patty.
- Get ready with all the patties.
- Heat a pan with few Tbsp of oil.
- Place the shaped Kebab one after other on the pan.
- Fry till golden on both the sides.
- Serve them as such or with green chutney/ tamarind chutney
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Beans (chopped in 1/2 inch pieces) – 2 Cup
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli Whole – 2 no
- Asafoetida (hing) – pinch
- Bengal Gram Dal – 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Green chillies – 6 or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Shredded coconut – 2 Tbsp
- Ginger – small piece
- Curry Leaves – few
- Pressure cook the beans for one whistle till they are soft but should still retain their shape.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to moderately hot oil and allow to pop, then add in cumin seeds, dry red chilli, curry leaves, chanadal, hing and fry till dal slightly changes its color to golden.
- Add in onion, pinch of salt and mix well. Cover and cook till they are soft.
- Meanwhile make a coarse paste from green chillies, ginger and coconut.
- Add this coarse paste to the cooked onion and cook it covered on low heat for 2 mins.
- Finally add the cooked beans, salt and cover them to cook for 3 mins. So that all the flavors will be absorbed well by the beans.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or roti or chapathi.
- Milk – 500 ml
- Yogurt Starter or yogurt from previous batch – 1/2 Tbsp
Step 1 : Rest the yogurt starter from the previous batch on the countertop so that it gets to room temperature.
Step 2 : Boil the milk in a microwave safe container.
Step 3 : Take the milk out from the microwave when you see the milk has started to boil.
Step 4 : Rest the boiled milk till it comes to a temperature between 105F to 110F or when you touch it should be warm but not hot.
Step 5 : At this temperature add the yogurt starter and mix well it everything is blended very well.
Step 6 : Close the container and rest it in a warm place.
Step 7 : After 3 to 4 hours yogurt will be ready.
Step 8 : If you need sour yogurt you can rest this out even for a longer time.
Step 9 : Refrigerate this before using this way it will be nice thick and creamy.Enjoy!!!
Chocolate Chip Cookies is a classic American recipe for a reason. They are soft and chewy. These Cookies are easy to make at home. So let’s start making them.
Makes – 15 Cookies
Preparation time – 15 mins
Baking time – 10 mins
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 1 Cup
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Butter (at room temperature) – 1/2 Cup
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips – 1/4 Cup to 1/2 Cup
- Cashews – 1/4 Cup
- Sugar – 1/4 Cup
- Light Brown Sugar -1/3 Cup
- Milk – 2 Tbsp (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line the Cookie Baking sheet with parchment paper or butter it.
- In a mixing bowl, add in flour, baking soda, salt. Mix together until well combined.
- In another bowl add in the butter and mix well until creamy (approx 30 secs).
- Add in the sugar and brown sugar, mix well with butter until combined (approx 1 min).
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add in the flour into the butter and sugar mixture (do this in three additions for easy mixing).
- Combine the flour and butter together to make a soft dough.
- If needed use splash of milk to properly bind everything together.
- Add in cashews, chocolate chips and mix well with the cookie dough.
- Shape the dough into cookies and place them on the baking tray leaving atleast 2 inches of space between each cookie.
- Bake them for 10 mins or until the bottom of the cookie is golden and tops slightly start to change their color.
- Let them sit in the baking tray for 10 mins then carefully transfer onto a cooling rack.
- Serve them warm or at room temperature.
For Baking without oven.
- Preheat the pressure or any thick bottomed pan with 1 – 2 Cups of salt on high heat for 10 mins (Cover the pan with a lid)
- Place a small container or pressure cooker plates on top place the baking pan or plate on top.
- Put the shaped cookies on the plate and put the plate into the pan.
- Bake them on high heat for 10 mins or until bottoms are golden.
- Once done, turn OFF the heat and remove the tin from the pan and let it cool for 10 mins on the countertop.
- Serve them warm or at room temperature. Your Eggless Cookies are ready without oven.
- Adjust the cooking time and temperature depending on the pan you are using to bake them on the stove.
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2017/02/18/methi-matar-malai-side-dish-for-chapati-roti-phulka/
Cutlets are quick to make and can be done in numerous ways. I used simple everyday spices and vegetables that we generally have handy at home to make these delicious cutlets. I shallow fried these cutlets, you still don’t miss on the taste. You can go for baking option if looking for a low cal …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2017/02/09/vegetable-cutlet-easy-evening-snack-tiffin-recipe/
Kachoris are generally made with all purpose flour as outer layer, however this sooji kachori has a crispy outer llayer made with semolina or sooji. I made delicious potato and vegetable mixture as stuffing. It comes out delicious just with plain potato stuffing too.Kachoris are generally deep fried, but feel free to shallow fry or …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2017/02/09/sooji-kachori-crispy-rawa-kachori-easy-indian-snack/
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2017/01/27/veg-pulao-easy-indian-lunch-dinner-recipe/
Curd Dosa is a simple tasty dosa that’s made with lot of yogurt/ Curd. Yogurt imparts soft texture and a tangy flavor to these dosas. Curd dosas can be taken in lunch boxes as they keep soft for long time. You can make these for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I generally soak rice and fenugreek …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2017/01/21/curd-dosa-perugu-dosa-south-indian-breakfast-recipe/
Parathas can be made several different ways. They are easy to make and make a great breakfast. Generally Parathas are served for breakfast but they make a great lunch/ brunch or dinner. Parathas can be served hot or cold with chutney, subzi,pickle curd etc. My favorite way of eating these parathas would be with Andhra …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2017/01/16/methi-paratha-healthy-indian-breakfast-luchbox-recipe/
Crispy and tasty Indian Snack Recipe made using bread. These Bread Pakodas are stuffed with flavorful potato filling and batter fried until crispy and golden. This is a favorite evening snack and breakfast especially among kids. Serves – 4 pieces Preparation time – 10 mins Cooking time – 20 mins Ingredients: Bread – 4 slices …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2016/12/16/bread-pakoda-aloo-bread-pakoda-evening-snack-indian-street-food/
Quick, creamy and flavorful Bhindi/ Okra Curry Ingredients: Tomatoes – 2 medium Cashews – 10 no Oil – 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp Lady Fingers/ Okra (wash, pat dry, trim the ends, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces – 300 gms Capsicum (cut into bite size pieces) – 1/4 cup Carom Seeds/ Ajwain – 3/4 …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2016/12/06/ajwaini-bhindi-masala/
Quick, easy and healthy Andhra recipe that can be made in under 15 mins and it taste divine when served with steamed rice and fresh cut onions on the side. Try this heavenly combination and enjoy with your family. Click here to watch step by step of making this simple and yummy side dish …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2016/02/29/paalakoora-pulusu-koora-traditional-andhra-recipe-under-15-mins/
Creamy, delicate and melt in mouth Dahi Kebab Recipe. Preparation time – 10 mins Cooking time – 30 mins Ingredients Hung Yogurt (Cold) – 250gms Paneer – 100 gas Cheese (grated) – 1/4 Cup Brown Onions – 1/4 Cup Green Chillies – 5 or to taste Onion (finely chopped) – 1/4 Cup Cilantro (finely chopped) …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2016/02/22/dahi-kebab-melt-in-mouth-kebab/